Okay, so the point of this blog (primarily) was to focus on my mental health. And that is really, really important. But I feel like that’s not as critical anymore & it’s time for me to focus on my physical health. And by that, I mean, I haven’t felt suicidal in a while (yay!).
Obviously, there are other forms of health like spiritual, social, financial, & so on. And I’m sure there will be times when I fully focus on them. 🙂 But my physical health suffered along with my mental health, which really isn’t that surprising. To me, it’s ALL connected. It’s all a giant forest fire & at this point, I feel like I got one section managed well enough, contained, really, so that I can take care of another area. And so, I’m shifting my attention to the next biggest fire – my physical health.
I’ve been going to the gym again, with the exception of today. Why didn’t I go today? It’s my Red Week & I didn’t think doing squats would be wise for today. 😉 You know when you can push it & when you’re like, “Bad, bad idea.” And all my sisters said, “Amen!” LOL! My plan is to “double up” tomorrow (weights & cardio) so that I’m right on track. I do have Century Link coming over to fix my dying modem so hopefully, they’ll be here sooner rather than later so I can go!
I’ve also been eating really clean (mostly Paleo) this week. I did have an everything bagel (OMG YUM) the other day & I felt it. Sluggish, stomach was kinda upset, & my head was hurting. Sigh. Stupid processed carbs upset my intolerant stomach. Who knew? 😉 So outside of that event & a couple squares of dark chocolate, I’ve been eating really good. I’m trying to reset everything. I always feel better when I do & my body quickly adjusts to it.
I’m working on my sleep schedule as well. Shit like getting up when my alarm goes off. What?! You can do that?! 😉 I haven’t been napping so I can fix it & stop living like I’m 18. I’m telling you – doing this & starting my period at the same time is ROUGH (I didn’t plan it that way). I get fatigued really hardcore so I’ve been living on Bang. I did crash this afternoon after Job #1 for just over an hour but that’s been it for the week! Seriously, this is the best I’ve done while on my period. I usually can’t make it through the day without a nap or two because it knocks me out. I’m very, very proud of myself!
So this all started when I asked myself the other day, “Okay, so I’m doing what I KNOW I need to do (sleep, eat, & work out like a fucking adult). What about internal health? What SHOULD I be doing?”
Here’s what I mean by that…I haven’t had a physical in almost 6 years (ha whoops). I’ve never had blood work done. Outside of an annual flu shot, I haven’t really seen a doctor for preventive medicine in YEARS. Decades, really. Time to remedy that. I did some research & got a good idea of what I need:
- Blood work – I emailed a doctor (who I discovered is now my PCP?! Weird but okay) & asked for an appointment. From what I saw on their website, I might be able to just walk in & get it done. That would kick ass.
- OBGYN – I got an appointment for a physical scheduled in August. That was the earliest she had available. Holy shit, right?! She’s amazing & the best so she’s in high demand. I’m not pregnant nor am I having any issues so I can wait. She’ll also do a quick scan of my body to see if anything looks abnormal. She’s the bee’s knees.
- Dentist – I have an appointment for tomorrow morning. They are amazing & they know my anxiety will probably be a bitch so I’ll take a Klonopin before I go. They’re so patient with me & constantly check on me to see if I need a break. It’s like a 20-minute appointment but they get it.
- Vaccinations – They probably need to be updated since I think I last had it done when I was 18. So half of my life ago. But I’ll ask the doctor about it when I get blood work done. If we can knock it all out at once, I’ll do it.
- Vision – I think I need to make a checkup to tweak my prescription. No biggie, right? I think it needs to be a little sharper but it’s not bad like I can’t see or that I’m having double vision again. Once I take care of a few of these other appointments, I’ll schedule this one.
- Surgeon – So (TMI) I have hemorrhoid that’s been pissing me off. I asked my OBGYN about it & apparently I need “my surgeon” to take care of it. Uhh…I don’t have a surgeon. Do people really just have one? That seems weird to me. Anyway, I gotta take care of this one too after I do some research on it. Is that something my PCP can take care of? Who knows?
As you can see, I’m on it like white on rice. Maybe it’s because I’m in my mid-30s but it’s really been hitting me lately that I need to get this shit done. I’m tired of living like some rebellious teenager. I feel like I’m running out of time? It’s hard to describe especially when I don’t know what this feeling is. The good news is that I feel like I have the mental clarity to take care of it now without crashing & burning. So this is me capitalizing on that.
As per yoozh, I’ll keep you updated & let you know how it goes. 🙂